First experiment with low temperature cooking. A few days ago we explained what it is and how it works A domestic vacuum cooking machine. Ours is a Anova But there are many different brands in the market. They are not especially expensive (it depends on the functionalities) and with an offer you can get one for just over € 100.
I will say that we opt for tuna because Ro and I always complain that it is very complicated to give the exact point to the meat. At home or in any restaurant or they are left dry or raw. Wow, we have risked in the first test but I will say that despite my skepticism, the bluefin tuna fillets have been perfect. The beginner's luck? Maybe but I've looked so good in front of Ro :-)
The recipe is a free adaptation of the original of Vacuum Tuna of the App of Anova which for my taste has an excessive load of pepper and oil. If you put too much black pepper, it will sting and you will not enjoy the original taste of the fish. Watch out!
In this photo I show you the result of the tuna already made, out of the bag and without going through the pan to mark it. Behind you can see another packaged and uncooked piece - ready for the next recipe. The appearance is surprising. It looks like a piece of beef. Be very careful and do not handle it as if it were a ribeye because it is more fragile and can be opened. And that has no arrangement.
A steak came to spare for both of us and the second we have frozen for another day. Be careful because the thickness directly affects cooking times. In the recipe I have set average cooking times but if you like almost raw inside, do not exceed 43 degrees of water temperature in cooking. If you are beginners like us in this of sous vide cooking, you will have to visit a blog in Spanish of low temperature cooking, it is from Cris and Xavi and it is great “At low temperature”, I leave it here.
I also advise you to go to the fish market and ask for quality pieces. The low temperature cooking greatly enhances the flavors and a good fish you will enjoy much more.
- 2 Bluefin Tuna steaks of about 350-400 grams each (you can cook them at the same time each inside its bag)
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 30 ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Thyme or some aromatic herb that you like
- Season the tuna loins with salt and pepper on both sides and introduce the loins each in its packaging or frozen bag. You pour some oil inside and prepare the vacuum with your packaging machine or by the homemade method.
- The home vacuum: The vacuum can be done without completely closing the zip of the bag. You put it in a pot with water and you submerge the product, that does not enter water in the bag, the air will go out. As soon as the air is out, you completely close the Zip bag. Ready. If you use a packaging machine FoodsaverIt is as simple as placing the bag with the product and hitting a button, the machine is responsible for removing the air and sealing.
- Once you have the bags ready you put them in the refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- In a pot place your Anova, Roner or the machine you have to do the vacuum cooking and prepare the water at a fixed temperature of 43-46 degrees. With 46 the interior will be more done.
- Once that temperature is reached, take the bags out of the fridge and put them in the pot with preheated water. Set the timer. About 40 minutes will be enough. Do not go over the marked times!
- Time is up, take out the bags and very carefully open them and remove the tuna pieces.
- Preheat a pan with a little oil. TOadd the herbs, a little pepper (Only if you like pepper a lot because it already has enough)… Mark the piece in the pan 1 minute on each side. Withdraw Use a knife to make the steaks and to enjoy!